Who is eligible to register on the Registry?
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) Registry of Ontario ("Registry") will use a phased approach to register applicants. Best practices demonstrate that large-scale undertakings, such as establishing a comprehensive registry, requires multifaceted and prudent planning, phased implementation, and on-going critical evaluation to support successful implementation. Registering PSWs in phases will help the Registry to ensure that its overall functionality is capable of managing the larger PSW population.Eligibility Requirements for the Initial Rollout
You are eligible to register for the initial phase of the Registry if:
- You are currently employed with a registered employer; and
- You have successfully completed a Personal Support Worker or Préposé Aux Services de Soutien Personnel program at:
- A College of Applied Arts and Technology (CAAT) and graduated in June 2016 or later; or
- A Private Career College (PCC) and have a NACC certificate dated September 2016 or later.
Please note that eligibility requirements will be expanded to capture the remaining PSW population.
Read our Registration and Renewal Policy for more details.
What is required for registration?Mandatory Documents
Each applicant must submit the following information and supporting documentation to the Registry for consideration and review:
- Personal details (proof of eligibility to work in Ontario and photo identification required)
- Education details (proof of program completion required)
- Employment details (if applicable)
Additionally, applicants are obliged to disclose the following and submit supporting documentation as required for consideration and review:
- Membership with another unregulated or regulated healthcare body inside and/or outside of Ontario (if applicable, a Letter of Standing will be required)
- Fitness to practice safely and competently
- Criminal and professional misconduct record
Registered employers will provide verification of your employment offer and confirm you have provided a clear Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) or a VSC that did not produce any information that would impact your ability to practice safely or pose a risk to the public.Additional Requirements, if applicable
Additional information may be required as part of your application such as, but not limited to:
- Areas of additional training and/or certification
- Interest in employment/additional employment opportunities
Applicants to the Registry are assessed using the information above to determine if each applicant has met the minimum requirements needed to practice as a PSW in Ontario and to provide those who have not with the resources needed to facilitate their practice as a PSW in Ontario.
Read our Registration and Renewal Policy for more details.
Checklist of Supporting Documentation
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE PROCEEDING:
- All supporting documentation must be submitted to the Registry via mail as one complete package with the exception of documents that must be submitted by the issuing body themselves as indicated in the check list below.
- Alternative forms of document submission such as email will not be accepted.
- All copies of supporting documentation submitted must be at a legible resolution which clearly shows all text, photos, and document markers as applicable. If any document in the package is non-legible, the complete package will not be accepted and will be returned to the sender.
Personal Support Worker Registry of Ontario
222 St. Patrick Street
Upon receipt of an applicant’s online or mailed application form to the Registry, the Registry must receive the following supporting documentation within 30 days:
- One (1) copy of a government-issued ID demonstrating the applicant’s citizenship status. The documentation must be one of the following:
- Canadian Passport;
- Canadian Citizenship Card;
- Canadian Permanent Resident Card; or
- Valid work permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- One (1) copy of a government-issued photo ID (must be different than the ID used to fulfill the submission above – cannot be a health card).
- A copy of the applicant's Certificate of Name Change or equivalent if the name of any of the supporting documentation is different than the legal name used in the application.
- Proof of PSW credential provided directly to the Registry by the academic institution that granted the applicant's credential. The document must be one of the following:
- A final transcript bearing the academic institution’s official seal/stamp; or
- A letter of completion from the Office of the Registrar bearing the institution’s seal/stamp and/or letterhead
- One (1) copy of the National Association of Career Colleges (NACC) certificate if the Applicant graduated from a Private Career College (if applicable).
- Proof of additional certification beyond the applicant's core PSW credential (if applicable), provided directly to the Registry by the academic institution that granted the applicant's certification. The document must be one of the following:
- A final transcript bearing the academic institution's official seal/stamp; or
- A letter of completion from the Office of the Registrar bearing the institution's seal/stamp and/or letterhead
- Original signed and sealed Letter of Standing if the applicant is currently or was previously registered as a member of an unregulated or regulated healthcare body inside or outside of the province, including membership with the earlier iteration of the PSW Registry of Ontario. The letter must be sent to the Registry directly by the unregulated or regulated body.
In addition to your application, registered employers will verify:
- You have provided a clear Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) or a VSC that did not produce any information that would impact your ability to practice safely or pose a risk to the public.
- Your employment offer.
Note: you must not send the original copies of your personal identification documents (e.g. passport, driver's license). The Registry is not liable for any original copies of personal identification documents that may be mistakenly sent to the Registry.