In 2017, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care selected the Michener Institute of Education at UHN (Michener) to develop, test, and implement the Personal Support Worker (PSW) Registry of Ontario (Registry). The Registry launched in February 2018, using a phased implementation approach, and continues to grow and seek opportunities to partner with employer organizations across the health care sector.
This allows the Registry to test the quality of Information Technology platforms; implement registration in phases; and, ensure the Registry is user-friendly and provides high value information prior to launching to the full PSW population.
Why join the PSW Registry?
- Recognition – The Registry recognizes PSWs as trusted and skilled partners in Ontario’s health care system. It elevates the profile of PSWs, and helps bring them in line with other health care workers in Ontario, whose background information is accessible through an online database.
- Validation – Partnering with the Registry provides assurance to your clients that the PSWs you employ are competent to practice. The Registry carries out a thorough verification of your PSWs’ training and education credentials, and helps you stand out as a provider of choice.
- Safety – Being a part of the Registry demonstrates you value safety. All PSWs on the Registry have provided evidence of a clear Police Record Check, validating their ability to practice safely, and reducing the risk for the public.
How does the Employer Portal work?
Registered Employers will receive one (1) secure login for the Employer Portal that may be used by a Human Resources representative (or the equivalent department). Each PWS’ profile will provide information such as: the number of hours available to work, employment history, working preference (i.e. hours, location), and certifications in the field. The Registered Employer will also be able to see the Unique Identifier for each PSW with the qualifications sought. To protect the anonymity of the PSW, the unique identifier is different from the PSW’s Registrant Number.
If a Registered Employer is interested in interviewing a PSW:
- The Registry can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org with the PSW’s Unique Identifier, the employer’s contact name, the name of the organization, and their contact information (i.e. email and/or phone number).
- The Registry will inform the PSW that a Registered Employer is interested in speaking with them, and will provide them with the organization’s information.
Click here for a list of registered employers.
To become a partner of the Registry, please contact email@example.com.