Make a Complaint
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) Registry of Ontario ("Registry") does not investigate complaints itself. The Registry will receive complaints and makes recommendations as to what registered employer, or third-party organization complainants can take their complaints to be addressed and investigated. A registered PSW's listing on the Registry is not changed unless the Registry receives a relevant finding or recommendation from a third party or registered employer.
The Registry is committed to an accessible, efficient, and fair complaint management process that supports and fosters accountability and transparency regarding registered PSWs' adherence to the Registry's Code of Ethics (PDF, 705 KB)
and Roles and Responsibilities of Personal Support Workers (PDF, 635 KB)
The Registry will:
- have an accessible and transparent complaints process;
- review all complaints from individuals who believe that a service, action or lack of action by a registered PSW in Ontario did not meet the Registry's Code of Ethics or generally accepted standards of care;
- handle each complaint in an equitable and objective manner, free of bias and reprisal;
- provide clear and transparent information on how to submit a complaint and how the complaint will be handled; and
- provide information regarding complaint resolution options in Ontario to anyone wishing to make a complaint about PSW practice.
You may submit a written complaint to the Registry if you are dissatisfied with the service, action, or lack of action by a registered PSW.
Before Making a Complaint
While the Registry reviews all complaints from individuals who believe a registered PSW did not meet the standards of care or the Registry's Code of Ethics (PDF, 705 KB) , it is highly recommended that you also address your concerns directly with the registered PSW and/or their employer if it is safe and appropriate to do so.
How to Make a Complaint
Complaints must be submitted to the Registry in writing using the secured, web-embedded Complaints Form. Please provide the following to process your complaint in an effective and efficient manner:
- Date of complaint submission
- Your personal information:
- Full legal name
- Contact (email address and primary phone number)
- Name of the registered PSW involved in the complaint
- Relationship to the registered PSW involved in the complaint
- Name and address of the registered PSW’s employer
- Date of when the issue/incident occurred
- Time of when the issue/incident occurred
- Location of where the issue/incident occurred
- Detailed description of the issue/incident
In addition to the information above, you must also consent to:
- share your personal information and personal health information with the registered employer;
- share your personal information or personal health information with the appropriate third-parties or as required by law, court order, or administrative order;